With Census Night on 9th August, we thought we would look at the face of the Hills District with thanks to Hills Shire Times Aug 2, 2016.
Of the 169,872 people recorded as living in the Hills in the 2011 Census, most residents work in a professional or managerial position
Most populated suburb: Castle Hill with 27,458 residents or 10 per cent of the area’s population
Most residents live in the leafy suburb Castle Hill (10 per cent of Hills locals) followed closely by Carlingford (9 per cent).
The least populated areas in the Hills area include Winston Hills (4 per cent), North Rocks (3 per cent) and Glenhaven (2 per cent).
The three largest ancestries in The Hills Shire Council area are Australian, English and Chinese.
A total of 24 per cent of locals came from countries where English was not their first language.
Just pipping the amount of health care industry workers (8885 locals or 10.8 per cent) was retail with 8938 employed workers or 10.9 per cent of the Hills population.
● Average age: 38
● Women outnumber men with 85,886 of female residents to 83,986 men
● Typical jobs: Professional (27 per cent), manager (17 per cent) or in an administrative role (17 per cent)
● Most popular industry: Retail with 10.9 per cent of residents plying their trade in the industry
● A total of 61.1 per cent of residents are married
● Most common birthplace, aside from Australia, was the UK and China
Source: McCrindle Pty Ltd and ABS 2011 Census